Friday, June 19, 2015

Winter 2015

Start of Winter and it seems colder than last year.  I don't know, maybe its because I'm in it more this year.  The end of Autumn saw me falling off a ladder.  Something I hadn't (weirdly) planned to do, but it still happened.  Luckily, I wasn't too badly hurt.  I ended up on my foot and damaged ligaments.  It hurt A LOT!  I am ok now. I garden, so I need my feet.  I like how the doctor says "Keep off it as much as you can"  People assume that I sit behind a desk all day.  The great out doors is my office and although I wouldn't change this, sometimes it can be detrimental to your health!  Anyway, I digress...
Winter!  Cold and rainy.  Cold mornings, but still dry.  We're not getting enough rain to really penetrate the roots.  So, I am still hand watering - not as much, but a bit.  So how many people have been doing cuttings?  I did some Acacia cultriformus prostrate cuttings the other day.  I tried this another time, but they died straight away.  My little seedlings are doing well.
My seedlings
Of course, being winter, not much is happening.  However, they all seem to be alive, so that's great.  We've also been getting some interesting plants come up.  For instance, below our stairs, where there is nothing, just dirt and a drain, there is some potatoes growing.  They just popped up one day.  This same place a few seasons ago, we had tomatoes spring up.  Perhaps its just a magic food bed!  I am growing brussel sprouts at the moment, and Kale.  I like kale.  Its very easy to grow.  The in thing at the moment, is to make Kale chips.  I make mine with olive oil, vinegar and salt.  Yum!  My sister makes hers with chili.  That would be nice too.  I'm looking forward for my crop of potatoes.  I love potatoes.  Its so easy to stay indoors on these cold days, but the garden still needs some care.  Weeds still come, especially after the rain.  Plants needs to be pruned and trimmed.  Rose pruning is also one of those chores which has to be done, but done well.  Its not too hard, but people still seem to do it wrong.  For people who have roses and don't know how to prune correctly, they should really get someone who knows what they're doing.  Next post will possibly be able rose pruning. Enjoy the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment