Thursday, November 12, 2009

No Dig Plots

This is my no dig plot. Its quite small, however, it will do me for what I want. Its situated in front of our decking. At 2 metres in length by half a metre in width. The No-dig plot consists of straw, grass clippings, blood and bone, news paper and mulch. It does take time to construct, but its wonderful once its up and running. I'll leave it for a week and it should be ready to plant soon. I want to put herbs in this plot. I am going to make another one further away for vegetables. I have my herbs in pots at the moment.
I have to thank my dear friend Matt for introducing me to the world of No-dig gardens about ten years ago. I helped him construct one in his old place in Ocean Grove. It was a grand old garden. You may have noticed this (above photo). The land and therefore the bed are on a downward slope. The bricks (two that are visible) are the type with three holes in the middle. I did not want them to clog with soil so I meshed the length (tightly) and filled it with light soil (with med-large aggregates, so water can easily move through). I will then keep this moist (as possible in the Australian sun) which will hopefully drain downwards into the plot.

I guess that's the exciting thing about being a gardener. Everyone has a different way of doing things. And its very much trial and error. This may not work. I may have to construct a shade cloth over the well (which I was thinking about while writing this) but I will learn from it and move on. Wouldn't it be dreadful to think you could ever learn anything new again? That's an arrogant thought isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment